Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What is the scariest thing for me and my friends right now? It is not the grade that I got on my last midterm or my dad's reaction when he sees my latest credit card bill, though those are both scary things. The scariest thing for us is the daunting task of finding a job in this awful economy. So what are the options? The thought of staying in school has crossed my mind. Graduate School? Law School? Those are both great suggestions but I think the most important thing when looking for a job is experience. I have learned more from my internship experiences than any class I every took.
So what should my 22 year old friends I do? We begin the hunting process. We join organizations that can build our networks. Currently I am a member of MIMA and ISES. Both have helped create some great contacts for me. We market ourselves online. Twitter (which I am still getting used to), FaceBook, LinkedIn, and your own personal blog. We just do something. We find internships, volunteer opportunities, and if we are lucky jobs in a field somewhat close to what we want to end up doing. We ride this out. Companies will be looking for people ... soon .... until then we do something, anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment